Beginning this summer, the Chamberlin Family Foundation, West Contra Costa Unified School District, and TrueSchool Studio have partnered to provide the School Design Fellowship for a cohort of schools in West Contra Costa.The Fellowship kicks off this summer and will include in-person, interactive Studios and coaching tailored for your school team. This structured, hands-on experience provides you with the time, process, and support you need to design and refine ideas for your school that are grounded in student needs and have the power to transform student outcomes. We are currently seeking applications from schools for this unique experience.
TrueSchool Studio specializes in developing cultures of innovation in schools and building the knowledge, practices, and mindsets of educators to become leaders of innovation. We believe the best ideas for the future of education will come from teachers and principals working on the ground in schools. We want to tap into your big, bold ideas to dramatically improve outcomes for students! To learn more about our work, check out our Why and read about schools who have participated in our programs across the country and around the world.
School Design Fellowship – SUMMER 2017
The focus of this 2-week summer program is to uncover a core problem area that, if solved, would transformationally improve student outcomes. Schools teams join us for two in-person Studios and one virtual coaching session. We work through a discovery process focused on building empathy with and gaining insights from students, parents, colleagues, and community members. Empathy serves as the inspiration for redesign and shifts problems to new possibilities.
At the end of the summer, there will be the option for participating schools to continue forward with the Fellowship and receive additional programmatic support to further build, refine, and scale their solution throughout the academic year.
Core commitments for participating in the program:
- Participate as a school team of 3-6 members, including the principal, between 1-4 classroom teachers, and any additional members of the staff or school community. Ideal team size is 4.
- Full team attends all in-person Studios (dates below).
- Engage in team meetings, independent research, and collaborative preparation for Studios and coaching (approximately 2 hours/week)
- Collaborate and coordinate as a team to submit deliverables on time
- Share insights and findings, including interviews, written documents, photos, and videos
- Come with an open mind and big vision of what is possible for students!
- Studios: 10 hours (for 2 Studios)
- Personalized Coaching: 1 hour
- Fieldwork: 8 hours
- Total: approximately 20 hours
- Friday, May 19: Application deadline
- Studio 1 – Monday, August 7, 9am-3pm, TBD location in East Bay
- Fieldwork – Tuesday, August 8th, flexible time with your team in your school and community (please plan for a full day of getting out in the field with your team on August 8)
- Studio 2 – Wednesday, August 9, 9am – 3pm, TBD location in East Bay
- Virtual Coaching Session: Week of August 14